Oneness

If light hits every point on a mirror why is the image only flipped right/left? - Mondo

Friday, February 06, 2009

Sidelined

Well, I tried the Sidelines jam session tonight. Richard (my drummer) joined me, but we were both disappointed to find out that it was "jazz night" instead of the rock/blues we were expecting. I have to take the blame for this, as it was me that didn't research it sufficiently.
What I'd been led to believe was that the 3rd St. Blues (bar) had a jam on Tuesday and that Sidelines (bar & grill?) had a jam on Thursday. This was not the case. If you're a jazz fan, then Sidelines is where you want to be on Thursday night. But, be prepared for smoke as they don't sell any food and, thus, allow smoking (yuk!)
However, I was informed that the host band, First Take, also does a jam session over at the new Jazz restaurant by Sheel's. This is a no-smoking venue, so once I get up the gumption to try Jazz again, this is probably where I'll do it.
Richard was a trooper and stayed well into the first set. The music was great and the band was tight, but Jazz just isn't his cup of tea. In fact, it's not quite mine, either, but I had signed up to play, so I stayed and had a couple doses of liquid courage. Unfortunately, it took all night long to get my shot. And I do mean ALL DAMN NIGHT! I would have left with Richard had I known that they'd call me up for the SECOND TO LAST song!!!
None-the-less, it was something to chalk up to experience. At least it wasn't "fusion" Jazz. I just can't make any sense of that sutff.